9 July - 11 November 2018
The deadline for proposals closed on 7 May. Thank you to everyone who made a submission. We will be announcing the Toi Pōneke Visual Artist in Residence over the next few weeks.
Toi Pōneke is calling for proposals from visual artists for our 2018 Visual Arts Residency. We are looking for applications from Wellington-based artists. This 12 week residency culminates in the exhibition of a new body of work at Toi Pōneke Gallery in October 2018.
The aim of this residency is to support an artist to develop a body of work and provide them with resources to dedicate themselves to their work full time. We aim for the artist-in-residence to gain experience installing a solo exhibition of their work at Toi Pōneke Gallery in October/November 2018.
Shortlisted candidates may be invited to an interview with Toi Pōneke staff before a final decision is made. At the completion of the residency the successful candidate will be required to provide a report and feedback.
What’s on Offer
- Toi Pōneke will provide the candidate with a studio space for 12 weeks with 24/7 access
- A 4 week exhibition at Toi Pōneke Gallery this includes pack in & pack out (3.5 weeks open to the public)
- Promotion of the candidate’s exhibition and associated activities
- A stipend during the 12-week residency
- Some technical and hosting support for the exhibition
- Available only to Wellington-based New Zealand citizens or permanent residents (resides in Wellington)
- Applicants must be emerging artists
- Artists must be able to commit to this residency full time (spend at least 40 hours a week at Toi Pōneke) and install their own exhibition
Students or artists within one year of finishing under-graduate study are not eligible to apply
- Applicants recently graduated from a Post Graduate course are eligible to apply
- Employees and family members of the employer Wellington City Council are not eligible to apply
- Submissions due by 7 May 2018
- Successful artist announced mid May 2018
- Residency commences 9 July 2018
- Exhibition dates: 15 October – 11 November 2018
This Residency has the outcome of an exhibition at Toi Pōneke Gallery.
Dates are non-negotiable.
- Install: 15 – 18 October
- Opening: 5:30pm Thursday 18 October or 5.30pm Friday 19 October
- Exhibition Dates: 19 October – 10 November
- De-install: 11 November
Your Application should comprise of:
- Application Form
- 2 page Visual Arts Resume
- Minimum of 10 images of recent work A5 size, with captions and a short description if necessary
- Please provide links to any relevant documentation (e.g. website, vimeo/Youtube channel, articles or papers about work, exhibitions, publications, etc.)
Terms and conditions
Successful applicants will be required to
- Sign the Toi Pōneke - Visual Arts Residency Agreement;
- Agree to the Toi Pōneke Arts Centre Terms and Conditions;
- Complete a Toi Pōneke Arts Centre Artist Studio Application;
- Agree to the Toi Pōneke Arts Centre Artist Studio Agreement.